Thursday, January 27, 2011

What? It's time to shave again? It's only been a year....

This time every year, I get the itch. Not the wintery skin itch, but the itch to do something different. To expand my knowledge, broaden my interests, to do something new.
I don’t think it has anything to do with New Year’s Resolutions but the anxiousness to get out from under the dark, short days, and see green grass and flowers again. I love spring; where everything changes from drudgery to beautiful.

This is the time of year I get the itch to go back to school, read more books, take more classes, commit to organize my house and my life, and generally become a better person.

This is also when I want to move, go on a trip, buy a new car, start my own business, and I start looking at trailers. Restless, restless, restless.

This is the time of year when Jon cringes every time he hears, “I have an idea.” Or “I was thinking.” Or “What would you think if….”
He’s learned to be patient and supportive, and he knows to nod his head in all the right places.

However, this is the first year we haven’t had kids around to take up my time and attention. That leaves Jon all alone, with just me and my ideas, and my mind is racing to come up with things we can do together.

I understand now why a lot of men go out and buy their wives puppies when their kids leave home. Not as a companion, but as a deflection device!

Since I really dislike cold weather and snow, and I want no more pets, I have to find something we can do inside. My big ideas for this year are: cooking lessons, join a gym, take Zumba classes together, turn off the TV and sit on the couch together reading and then discussing what we’ve read. Kind of like a husband/wife book club.

What I’d really, really like to do is take Zumba classes together! What do you think, Pop? Do we have a date?

I bet that new house is looking a lot better right now, isn't it?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Can he wear the purple lycra stretchpants and the oversized sweatshirt? I think I have a headband he can accessorize with!