Monday, July 30, 2012

Day One Smoothie Fast

I have just completed day one of my smoothie fast. I started the day with a veggie and fruit packed smoothie and drank until I could drink no more. I was surprised at how I didn't feel hungry and tired. I felt quite normal, actually. However, when I decided to start my smoothie/juice fast, I forgot that I had also planned a neighborhood dessert night in our front yard for the night of day one. I am happy to say that I suffered no temptation. Not one bit of food passed my lips yesterday. I still cooked dinner for my family as Sunday dinner is really the only sit-down, home-cooked meal we do any more. The plan is to cook a nice, big meal, then have enough left over for lunches the rest of the week.  So naturally, it's not the best time to try out new recipes.I made potato salad for the first time yesterday and I couldn't taste it to see if it was OK or if it needed anything. I judged by smell, and then when the family came over I had Jessica taste test for me. And wow, I guess there was too much vinegar in it! I started making a German potato salad and when it all got put together, it didn't look so great, so I found a traditional recipe and tried to blend the two together. Apparently, DON'T EVER DO THAT. The results were not favorable. My family though, as nice as they are, ate some anyway, but we have a bunch left over! Maybe I can figure out a way to put it in a smoothie.

While I suffered no hunger pangs yesterday, by the time we went to bed I had the beginnings of a pretty good headache. Since I am trying to do this journey naturally, I decided not to indulge in any chemical interference. I did deep breaths and held them and then let the air out slowly. 

Here is my new juicer. I am so excited to use it, and I couldn't wait to show you!


I kid.But this is new, and it is technically a juicer. I got it to squeeze my lemons. Every morning I squeeze a whole lemon and put it into a giant glass of water and drink it. I have come to crave it. It's an excellent way to detox your body. So during my smoothie/juice fast, the only other beverage I will be drinking is lemon water. Lots of it. Very tasty.


I have a feeling the next few days are going to be rough but I am trying to be optimistic! I am doing a great thing for my digestive system and my mind. Eventually. Once I get over the hurdle. Those Frito Lay Scoops on the top of the fridge are looking pretty good.

1 comment:

Jasmine said...

Awesome! Great start! If you can get over the temptation of a dessert night on day one of your fast, you can do the rest of it!!

You can do it, you'll do great!